Thursday, July 12, 2012

Coconut Flour Meatloaf

I've wanted meatloaf for such a long time, but because Adam doesn't eat grain, bread has been out of the question.  Today I bought a great, awesome book called Cooking with Coconut Flour by Bruce Fife, N. D. Inside was a recipe for meat loaf with coconut flour instead of bread crumbs.  It called for a 16 oz can of tomato sauce, I looked and we only had a can of cut tomatoes, so I took 2 and blended them with my Krups hand mixer, and yellow bell pepper instead of green.

Since the recipe isn't online anywhere, I have placed the directions beneath the picture.  It was delicious, Adam explained that he didn't know what the red stuff on top of the meat loaf was, when I explained it was tomato sauce he had an odd look on his face.  I said it replaces the ketchup, he asked what ketchup and that's how I discovered that the meatloaf he grew up with didn't have ketchup and they usually put dijon mustard on their slices.

Live and learn, he ate it and I think when I make it again, I'll use less tomato sauce as it tended to be a little too juicy.



                        Fresh out of the Oven                                                    With Salad

Ingredients:
½ cup organic coconut flour
3 eggs
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
⅛ teaspoon thyme
⅛ teaspoon marjoram
1 pound ground beef
1 16-ounce can tomato sauce

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine coconut flour, eggs, chopped onion, salt, black pepper, thyme and marjoram in a bowl.
3. Add ground beef and 1 cup of tomato sauce and mix well.
4. Shape mixture into a loaf and place in a baking dish. Pour the remaining 1 cup of tomato sauce over the top of the loaf.
5. Bake for 1¼ hours.

Makes: 6 to 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment